Tuesday, January 24, 2012

QUICK Valentine Marshmallow Shish-Ka-Bobs

Today I was looking for something fun to do for my kids. Nothing big, nothing super fancy. Just something unexpected to say "I love you."

As I was cleaning the kitchen some Valentine supplies caught my attention and an idea was born...Heart Marshmallow Shish-Ka-Bobs. ( I just realized I have no idea how to spell shish-ka-bob...and spell check really isn't helping!) Here are my supplies that I already had:


The tiny heart sprinkles are a BIG hit at our house. I am going to tell you a secret. I could put those sprinkles on ANYTHING and the kids would be excited and feel like they got something special. I am pretty sure I could sprinkle them on broccoli and they would come running to give me hugs. Well, maybe not broccoli.

The little sticks I used are really pretty cool. Someone made them for me awhile ago. They are regular wood skewers that were glued into a wooden bead. How cool is that? I think it makes things look more finished. It reminds me of the sticks for rock candy.

You can see on this photo how they are made.


How cute would it be to make these with pink or red beads? Or heart beads? The options are limitless!

I did alter these sticks just a bit by cutting them shorter with a sharp pair of scissors.

Next I simply pushed three heart marshmallows down onto the stick. Did you know they make heart marshmallows for Valentines Day? The best part...I only paid about a dollar for the bag! It makes a pretty cheap Valentine Treat!


I took a few of my chocolate pieces and melted them in a glass bowl in the microwave. Just follow the directions on the bag. I dipped the top marshmallow into the chocolate.


While the chocolate was still wet, I sprinkled my hearts onto the chocolate.


I stood the sticks up in a short glass that would allow them to dry. You could lay them down on a piece of waxed paper, but I didn't want to have smash marks on my chocolate.


I placed my glass in the freezer to allow them to solidify quickly. While I was waiting I got out my ribbon jar and these pretzel bags.


This step is completely unnecessary if they are going to be eaten right away. I had the supplies, so I used them. I cut the bags shorter for these sticks...just about in half. I slid one of my Valentine Shish-Ka-Bobs into the bag and tied it with a bright pink velvet ribbon.


Look how cute they are! It would be an EASY project to make for Valentines Day to give to the class. It is so simple, your kids could even make the treat themselves! It is an inexpensive project and easy to make. And let's face it...it looks a lot more fancy than a piece of candy from a giant bag!


Don't get me wrong, I LOVE complicated treats. Ok, here is a true confession...do you know Bakerella? I ADORE her! I wish I could be her. But sometimes a Mom just needs something cute and QUICK!

I am linking up to the following parties:



Todays Creative Blog


Home Stories A2Z


4 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi,

    I just found your blog at Home Stories A to Z's link up, and I am SO glad that I did! Your projects are amazing!! I think I just looked back through all of them! Plus, I saw that you guys had breakfast w/Shamu and we recently did that too. We live in SD too, although you're so lucky to be in Coronado :) And you posted about loving tatertots & jello's link party about organization... I was thrilled to be one of those projects featured in that post (and yes, I too jump up and down screaming when I'm featured!) Seriously, I could go on here but I don't want you to think I'm a crazy blog stalker :) I'm really not at all, but I just couldn't believe all the things it seems that we have in common. Oh, and your burlap frames are the best. I LOVE crafting with burlap. I'm subscribing via email- I'd love for you to stop by my blog and follow me back if you'd like!
    xo,
    Laurie @ Gallamore West

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this...simply L-O-V-E this idea and I'm totally going to 'steal' it for my Valentine's table! I didn't know about the heart-shaped marshmallows (not a huge fan) but I can see a trip to my local Walmart (or any other grocery store...hehe) to find them. Thanks for posting! {saw this at the Happy Hour Projects link up}

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute! I have seen the strawberry mallows, but not hearts! so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look great!!! would love for you to link up to my Handmade Valentine party at www.Summitstreetjoy.com
    nice job :)
    lauren

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to get comments! Drop me a note and let me hear what you think. Thanks. -Heidi