Thursday, January 19, 2012

Little Bit of Love Sign


Do you remember this Pumpkin Patch sign I had up at Halloween? It originally started out at Home Goods, but I got it for free. It is now my new Valentine decor. Yep...I have a pumpkin patch sign up for Valentines Day.

I know, that sounds wrong. If you are thinking there is no way I have that up, then you know me well. I loved the size of the sign, and decided that I needed something just that size to go in its place. I was going to start from scratch and make something, but then I figured...why? Why not make something from this piece that I could use for a longer period of time?

So I took my sign and got ready to mix it up.


I wanted this to be a quick and easy project, so I figured black was my best bet at covering this quickly. So I gave it a quick cover with my Martha Stewart acrylic black paint.


I was going to cut out letters to spell LOVE with my Cricut machine, but when I looked at my machine, I saw this cute image instead:


I know, it kind of makes it a little bit "Valentiney" instead of just having the word Love. I am hoping that my paint choice helps keep it from looking too much like something that needs to be put away on February 15th.

I cut out the image and stuck it onto my sign. I pressed all of the edges down really well and used a fairly dry brush to apply my paint.


As you can see on the image, it did not work well. My paint had oozed quite a bit. Bummer! It was an easy fix though. I took a brush with some of the black paint and touched up the smudges. You can see the difference on the L vs. the rest of the image.

At this point, my sign just looked a little to new. It wasn't the rustic looking sign I had started with from before. So I took out my sander and roughed it up. However, that took off a bit too much paint and you could see words coming through.


I didn't want to see anything about a Pie Maker coming through on my Love sign. So I applied another layer of black to the body of the sign. It probably wasn't the best way to fix the problem, but it was quick and I wanted this project to be quick. I knew it would not be quick to sand it all down (like I should have done) and start all over. I also knew I did not want to attempt stenciling the image again. Lucky for me, my quick fix worked just fine.


Look how well it fills the blank wall space next to my "Costco Crush." I wanted the sign to be simple, but I felt like it was missing something.

I didn't want it to be busy. I wanted simple. But it needed something more. So...


I added a few red glass bottles I picked up at a Thrift Store last year and a simple Gerber Daisy in each bottle. I love it. It was just what that space needed.

I can't wait to show you the entire cabinet. It is all dressed up for Valentines Day now!

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, I love this too!!

    Ok, can you come over? I have a few areas of my house that need help. ;)

    Adrianne
    www.happyhourprojects.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it on fb. Thanks for linking up at Bacon Time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great!!! The flowers are just the perfect thing--- thanks for sharing at Summit Street!
    blessings,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete

I absolutely love to get comments! Drop me a note and let me hear what you think. Thanks. -Heidi