Monday, January 16, 2012

Orca Research

Last week I mentioned that my daughter had a big project she was working on for school. Her class is doing research on ocean animals. Does it make me a total nerd to say I was REALLY excited about this project? I am not a total geek who loves doing research, just one who adores ocean animals. She chose to do her research on Orcas.

So today we went to do some "hands on" research...


Ok, so maybe "hands on" is a bit of an exaggeration, but we went to have breakfast with Shamu. Oh yeah, life in Southern California is rough!


How can you mind doing homework when you get to spend your time watching these beauties up close and personal?

We got up close and personal with two Orcas today: Nakai and Kalia...they are fairly young siblings. Brother and Sister...perfect for my kids. Although we are now all about Kalia. We were told that she was easy to spot due to the three black marks on her eyespot. My daughter quickly followed that up with "She's the Orca me!" Aaah. My sweet little girl has freckles all across the bridge of her nose and scattered across her cheeks. Now she has a matching Orca buddy.


We were able to spend some time at the underwater viewing area before we left. I've heard that dolphins can recognize their trainers even in "street clothes." Orcas are a type of dolphin and they are so smart! So when Kalia swam over and watched my daughter and I up close for awhile...well, I am convinced that she remembered us from breakfast! There is nothing quite like looking directly into the eye of an Orca! It is amazing! Thanks Sea World for another FANTASTIC day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I absolutely love to get comments! Drop me a note and let me hear what you think. Thanks. -Heidi