I purchased this vintage wood chest a few years ago at a Yard Sale.
I saw it and I knew I wanted to bring it home. The price was not typical of Yard Sales around here...you can get some serious deals. I purchased another similar sized wood chest for $5! This cutie was $40. I know, I am a bit spoiled by deals. For me, it was a bit pricey, but I was IN LOVE.
Look at those wheels! I wish I could find antique bronze wheels like that. Don't laugh...but I didn't know the wheels where there until last week. Yes, I did say I have had this for a few years. I am an observant one! I had always picked it up to move it, but had never turned it over and looked at the bottom. Hidden jewels!
The pull on here is beautiful. I love the details. And see the different colored piece above the handle? When I was inspecting the piece to change it up, I noticed it looked like paper. I took a wet cloth and lightly rubbed on it. You can't see it on the picture, but you can now see through the paper label to some writing. It is really cool!
I loved the aged look and natural patina of this piece. I couldn't get this look if I tried. However, I wanted something more. I wasn't sure what I was looking for exactly, but it needed something. After two years, I finally got the nerve to go for it. It didn't matter anymore if I ruined it or not...I needed to try.
I took out my Cricut machine and cut a stencil out of vinyl adhesive. I found a tip online from someone who said to try purchasing scraps from sign shops. I happen to have one close by and was able to buy a whole trash bag full of vinyl adhesive rolls for $10. I have used so much of it and still don't have an end in sight! It might have been the best tip I have ever read online.
I pressed my adhesive stencil in place. It is a good way to visualize what your project is going to look like. It kind of gives you a last chance to change your mind before making permanent changes.
I had just opened my first can of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint the day I did this project. I had a brush that still had some paint on it, so I just used it for a dry brush technique onto my stencil. I made sure I had as little paint as possible in my brush and dabbed it onto the letters. The color I used was Old Ochre.
I really like how it turned out. I think I would like to sand off a bit of the letters, but I am nervous about what it will do to the finish underneath.
I think it is adorable! It gives it a special, personalized touch that was missing before.