Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Spider Wreath Makeover

My kids are growing up. I'm not sure when it happened. We used to have two months of the year where my kids DID NOT like going to Michaels Craft Store. It wasn't because I was going to take too long thinking through my latest project...which I admit, I often do...it was just plain CREEPY! When the Halloween decorations started showing up, my kids used to get really frightened. I can't say I blame them. Somehow they have grown into thinking creepy is cool. What? Who are these kids?

So I am trying to give them...a little creepy.


I purchased a wreath at a local church thrift store for $2.50. It is very festive, but not what I was looking for.


If the women at the store ever see this, they might not be happy. One of them wished she had seen it for herself. I felt bad, because I knew I wasn't going to keep it this way. I just wanted it for the base of the wreath. I do think the candy corns are cute, but my door is burnt red, and that makes it very difficult to use an orange wreath.

As soon as I got it inside, I began to tear it apart.


I started by wrapping my little "naked" wreath with some mesh ribbon I had purchased from a yard sale. I don't know how to explain it other than it seems very Fall-ish. It is like a sisal mesh. The ribbon has some wiring in it, so I kind of scrunched it up as I worked it around the wreath. Next I took an L that I already had and tied it on with more of the ribbon. (The L was made from one of those paper mache letters that JoAnn Fabrics sells wrapped with twine.) I looped a long straight piece around a piece in the back to hang the wreath and stapled it to the top of my door. Yep, I am fancy like that...I staple my wreaths to my door. Finally, I pulled out my hot glue gun and added two spiders for our added creep factor.


My daughter is terrified of spiders...CREEPY.
The spiders are covered in black glitter...CUTE.
My new favorite style of Halloween decorations...CREEPY CUTE.



Linking up to:
HOG

1 comment:

I absolutely love to get comments! Drop me a note and let me hear what you think. Thanks. -Heidi